Wednesday, June 3, 2009

NLP- Mapping Across

What is mapping across?

To build further on submodalities, mapping across is a simple process of identifying the differences in submodalities of one picture versus the submodalities of another picture. My mentor (Mark Shepard of www.modernjedi.com) gave me a similar example, and here is one that is more true for me. Here is how that might look:

If I think about vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and peanut butter, for me, I would picture a bowl of ice cream in the center of my view, close to me, it would be bright, moving (the hot fudge melting the ice cream), with a big scoop of peanut butter on the top right hand corner, in color and the picture would be clear.

However, if I think of sorbet ice cream (yuk!) I picture it far off in the distance, to the right, dark, dim, small, blurry.

So, mapping across would compare the differences between my hotfudge peanut butter ice cream to the surbet.

Visual submodalities

A. Ice Cream B. Sorbet

1. Close 1. Far
2. Clear 2. Blurry
3. bright 3. Dim
4. Center 4. To the right
5. Color 5. Color
6. Movie 6. Still

Therefor, if I wanted Ice cream to mean what sorbet means to me I would map across the differences and change the submodalities of Ice Cream into the submodalities of Sorbet.

As simple as that is, it is very effective.

www.modernjedi.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Josh,

    Well said. Did you actually map it across? How did that change how you feel about ice cream?

    Mark Shepard
    http://ModernJedi.com

    ReplyDelete