Thursday, June 4, 2009

NLP Belief Change Experience

For the past 10 years I have only dabbled in NLP. I first started by reading a book by Tony Robbins, then I ordered Personal Power, then I realized that there was a lot of info on NLP. Then, I started getting books like NLP for Dummies and NLP Workbook, which were very helpful. However, it was not until I had taken Mark Sheppards course that really made the difference for me. Here has been my experience with just one area of my life so far.

I have always been bigger, muscular build, and it seems like on a diet sense junior high. During Wrestling season I wanted to cut weight and football season I wanted to gain weight. So, I developed a very unhealthy eating pattern. Always, dieting then gaining weight and it became exhausting.

Then, when I took Mark Sheppards course he had us do a limiting belief exercise. I realized that, and this may sound a little silly to some, if I lost weight then I was too small, my clothes fit funny, and I had to spend money buying new clothes, all which were negatives for me. So, what would happen is I would start to lose weight, then I would feel wimpy and small, and I would feel awkward because my clothes would fit funny, and I really value my money, so I did not want to spend more money, plus I don't really care for shopping and I really like the clothes I own.

Once I realized these simple beliefs were holding me back I decided to use some NLP belief change strategies to change my perspective. (more on this in detail tomorrow).

Now, I believe that when I lose weight my muscles will look much bigger (in my mind it's 10x's bigger) because I will be more defined. Also, I have plenty of clothes that I don't wear, that look great, because I got to.....comfortable. Finally, my wife is the queen at shopping for great deals and we could go together and make a day out of it, save money, get some cool stuff, and have a blastly-blast hanging out.

The really great thing about this, is that I really feel, on a gut level that this is true. It's not one of those things where you logically know that it is true. This new belief is congruent with every cell of my body.

To quote Anthony Robbins, beliefs may not always be true, so choose beliefs that are helpful.

www.modernjedi.com

1 comment:

  1. Awesome that you have been using the Belief change to actually apply to areas of your life you want to change...

    I would like to respectfully submit that one contributing factor to your challenge with weight loss is that you are focusing on the weight and not on fitness or health or definition.

    From the research I've done as well as the clients I've worked with and the fitness experts I've read, the weight focus is a trap we all tend to get stuck in.

    What if you held in your mind and approached your belif change with the idea that you would look and feel great and just be rippling with muscle and flexibility and strength and stamina and high energy?

    What if instead of thinking about losing weight you focused on burning fat and building muscle?

    let me know what you think.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete