Wednesday, June 3, 2009

NLP Drivers

What is a Driver in NLP?

To piggyback off of my last post, a driver in NLP is those few key submodality distinctions that make a difference in our internal representations. Said differently, drivers are how you know whether or not you like something and to what degree.

For instance, if you were to picture something you really love, maybe its a sport, or a pet, or a person, there are certain ways that you picture that person, sport or pet.

When I think of my wife, for example, I picture a beautiful, sweet, loving person, with glowing skin, a beautiful, warm smile, sparkling green eyes and I have a very loving feeling that seems to resonate towards my heart.

However, if I was to picture my wife far off in the distance, no smile, no glowing skin, maybe in black in white instead of color, then I get a completely different feeling, or internal representation, of my wife.

Even more, if I really wanted to, I can play with these submodalities, and see which ones really "drive" a feeling change.

Therefore, if I want to enhance my feeling towards my wife, I can make the picture bigger, brighter, more in focus, in color, and maybe even add her smell, and the sounds of her giggling, or her whispering, " I love you."

The really cool thing is, you can use drivers for just about any picture you can create. You can use this on foods you want to like more, or maybe less (for me that would be anything that contains chocolate and peanut butter).

Growing up I really did not like vegetables. I pictured vegetables as far away from me, dark, in color, but almost rotten, smelly, and if I wanted to bring the picture closer, my imaginary hand would come out of no where and push, no throw, the veggies out of my view.

So, I made a decision to change my submodalities. I now picture bright green veggies with other colorful veggies with them sparkling from just being washed. They are clean, fresh, and have a purifying smell to them. I also picture myself eating them and being blown away by there freshness and the crisp, cleansing flavor they have....YUM!

The really funny part is that my wife actually bought some cucumbers and when I discovered them in the fridge, without hesitation and realizing what I screamed out, OH YES, YUM! Afterwards, my wife looked at me puzzled, and I stated, "that was a first, I guess I really like cucumber?"

Fun stuff, give it a try, you might surprise yourself.

www.modernjedi.com

2 comments:

  1. Great story and excellent understanding of submodalities!

    Definitely keep tuning up your relationship!

    -Mark Shepard, NLPT
    http://ModernJedi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great value. Your writing has a very smooth harmony. The music of your words were in peripheral vision and very relaxing. I love simplicity of explanation. Our friend Albert said,"if you can not explain it simply, you do not understand it". Loved it and thank you making it easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete